2. According to a Pennsylvania "Dutch" (German) tradition, eating pork and sauerkraut brings good luck in the New Year.
3. In Spain and in many Latin countries, eating twelve grapes, one for each month, is said to ensure a lucky year.
4. Babies born on New Year's Day are said to have the best luck their entire lives.
5. German folklore says that eating herring at the stroke of midnight will bring luck for the next year.
6. Eating anything that's in the form of a circle - such as donuts - leads to good fortune in the coming year.
7. In the Southern U.S., it is believed that eating black-eyed peas, ham hocks and collard greens or cabbage on New Year's Day will attract a financial windfall.
8. For those of Polish descent, eating pickled herring as the first bite of the New Year brings good luck.